Curso de Mestrado em Gestão de Empresas, Variante em Gestão de Jogo
|Awarding body/institution 頒授機構||Macao Polytechnic Institute|
|Responsible school 負責學校||Centre for Gaming and Tourism Studies|
|Endorsement in the Official Gazette 政府公報批示||44/2019|
|Name of final award / programme Title 學位及課程名稱||Master of Business Administration in Gaming Management|
|Duration of study 學習年期||2 years|
|MPI programme code 理工課程編號||MGRM|
|FHEQ level of award FHEQ學歷水準||7|
|Language of instruction 授課語言||Chinese and English|
Academic units which will also be involved in teaching part of the programme
|MPI Bell Centre of English|
Institution(s) other than MPI that will provide some teaching to the programme
Programme outline 課程簡介
This programme aims to cultivate outstanding leaders and management professionals in the gaming and recreation industries. Specialised in gaming management, the programme focuses on discussing different management issues such as strategic planning, marketing, and service quality, and nurturing students' abilities to address challenges and opportunities and to make professional judgements in a complex business environment.
Programme objectives 課程目標
- Strengthen students' in-depth study of the relevant principles and theories of gaming management;
- Undertake critical analysis of the management dilemma and integrate theories and practice systematically and creatively to solve complex issues to improve gaming management practices;
- Improve students' scientific research, analysis and interpretation skills on complex management problems, as well as critical evaluation, theory application and comprehensive transferable skills;
- Enhance students' management and leadership ability to increase competitive advantage in a complex environment of rapid change;
- Recognize the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning. Integrate new knowledge, new tools and new methods to upgrade their ability to solve complex problems, paving a good foundation for their personal development;
- Strengthen students’ ability to reflect on management theories, theory application and ethical frameworks, contributing to the business and social development.
What will you be expected to achieve? 期望達到的成效
MBA graduates will be expected to acquire a broad base of management knowledge and skills that enable them to:
- exhibit critical awareness of classical theories and cutting-edge knowledge in the field of gaming management, and critically review and integrate them to build a solid body of management knowledge;
- review and judge complex management dilemmas in the gaming area, as well as integrate and apply relevant concepts and theories to reach reasoned, evidenced and innovative judgements and decisions to complex problems;
- expand knowledge of gaming management through critical research and analysis of coherent and reliable information using methods and techniques consistent with the management research paradigm;
- transfer and integrate multiple skills such as communication skills, computer and information technology skills, and management research skills in complex, dynamic and diverse environments to construct creative management strategies;
- demonstrate leadership and autonomy while working individually or in teams to achieve effective results in managing change and development, and be accountable for management decisions;
- critically evaluate and reflect on existing techniques and methods, be a good self-learner of new technology, new knowledge and new methods, as well as maximize productivity in a complex and unpredictable business environment; and
- identify and effectively resolve ethical dilemmas and social responsibility issues in management, and adhere to organizational ethics and values in complex situations.
Academic contents 學術內容
|A1||Presentation and analysis of classical theories and cutting-edge knowledge in the field of gaming management, as well as the ability to critically review and integrate them to build a solid body of management knowledge.|
|A2||Ability to review and judge complex management dilemmas in the gaming area and to integrate and apply relevant concepts and theories to make reasoned, evidenced and innovative judgements and decisions to complex problems.|
|A3||Ability to expand knowledge of gaming management through critical research and analysis of coherent and reliable information using methods and techniques consistent with the management research paradigm.|
Disciplinary skills‐ able to 學科技能
|B1||Transfer and integrate multiple skills such as communication skills, computer and information technology skills, and management research skills in complex, dynamic and diverse environments to construct creative management strategies.|
|B2||Demonstrate leadership and autonomy while working individually or in teams to achieve effective results in managing change and development, and be accountable for management decisions.|
|B3||Critically evaluate and reflect on existing techniques and methods, and be a good self-learner of new technology, new knowledge and new methods, as well as maximize productivity in a complex and unpredictable business environment.|
|C1||Identify and effectively resolve ethical dilemmas and social responsibility issues in management, and adhere to organizational ethics and values in complex situations.|
How will you learn? 如何學習
The pedagogy is determined by the requirements of a course, the learning objectives, learning outcomes and the learner’s context. However, the following methods of instruction are commonly used: Case Studies, Class Discussions, Group Projects, Group/Individual Presentations, Lecture Sessions, Self-Learning Materials, Seminars, Study Tours, and Workshops.
How will you be assessed? 如何評核
There will be a focus on relating the lectures and teaching material to practical issues and encouraging students to apply their knowledge to practical situations. The assessment designed for each course reflects the intentions of that course and will measure the identified learning outcomes. A variety of assessment methods will be used to test the achievement of the learning outcomes. The assessment process involves both formative and summative elements and this could be achieved through case studies, class discussions, presentations, report-based assignments, and time-constrained midterms. These are detailed in the course outline of each course. A significant part of the assessment comes from the Master thesis. Here students will be required to identify a topic of interest to them, which falls within the encompassing field of management. Students will explore this, and will apply their research to the topic, putting forward recommendations which are of practical benefit to the organization.
How is the programme structured? 課程架構
Students are expected to finish 6 compulsory courses and 2 elective courses, and conduct an independent research for their Master thesis to successfully complete this master programme.
Learning Module Title
Learning Module Code
Learning Module Selection Status
Year of Study
|Research Methodology in Management||GMGT6123||3||Compulsory||1||1|
|Strategic Management in Gaming Enterprises||GMGT6124||3||Compulsory||1||1|
|Marketing Management in Gaming Enterprises||GMGT6121||3||Compulsory||1||2|
|Human Resources Management||GMGT6125||3||Compulsory||1||2|
|Management Information System and Technologies||GMGT6126||3||Compulsory||1||2|
|Operations Management in Gaming Enterprises||GMGT6101||3||Elective||1||Not applicable|
|Service Quality Management in Gaming Enterprises||GMGT6102||3||Elective||1||Not applicable|
|Gaming Law and Regulation||GMGT6103||3||Elective||1||Not applicable|
|Ethical, Cultural and Social Issues in Gaming Industry||GMGT6104||3||Elective||1||Not applicable|
|Risk Management in Gaming Enterprises||GMGT6105||3||Elective||1||Not applicable|
|Managerial Economics||GMGT6106||3||Elective||1||Not applicable|
What are the Entry Requirements? 入學條件
According to Article 3 of Academic Regulations governing Master's degree programmes of MPI, an applicant shall be considered for admission if s/he:
- holds a Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from an accredited higher education institution;
- has a minimum of two years of working experience;
- has two references; and
- satisfies the examiners in an interview.
How do we listen and act on your feedback? 如何聽取及回應學生的回饋
With the class size kept small at about 20, the Centre has adopted the following ways to secure students' feedback:
- Weekly office hours are available for consultation and advice;
- School level and programme level dialogues will be held each semester;
- Feedback is to be collected from students at the semester end regarding every course enrolled;
- Students may raise their opinions and requests directly to the program coordinator and/or assistant program coordinator;
- Information from the above sources will be channelled back to the School Director and/or Program Coordinator as discussion items in school meetings.
Academic support and guidance 教學支援及指導
Students can make use of the faculty weekly office hours for consultation and advice, as well as the mock casino and computer facilities to enhance their learning. Apart from the new student orientation and student handbook, students are encouraged to take advantage of such academic sources as faculty research presentations, project experience sharing by Master-level students, e-learning platform between faculty and students, access to e-journals, English writing clinics by Bell Centre, and scholarship opportunities. Moreover, students can be helped with referrrals to other support services across the Institute.
Programme-specific rules and facts 課程特定的規則及事項
This full-time MBA programme in gaming management is built upon students’ bachelor degree qualification and prior working experience, preferably in the gaming industry. Such background can give students insights into the work involved and help develop their general business awareness. Following this, students with different background ranging from general management to doing business in sectors like food and beverage, can meet, share their ideas and opinions, and this network benefits from the prevalent use of the social media. The programme is offered on weekdays from 7 pm to 10 pm.
Support for students with disabilities 身心障礙學生支援
Macao Polytechnic Institute has in place an institution-wide policy to ensure that all student needs are taken care of and a supportive and accessible learning environment is maintained. When cases of special needs are notified or identified, special arrangements are made on a case-by-case basis with the joint effort of the programme and various student support services of the Institute, such as the Registry, the Student Affairs Office, the Information Technology Department and the Campus Management and Development Department, etc. to provide the necessary support.
Links with employers, internship opportunities and transferable skills 與僱主的關係、實習機會及可轉移技能
Given that many students have worked in the gaming industry for some years, they have already possessed some general awareness of the industry. Following this, the programme has invited senior-level business executives and high-ranking government officials to share their experience and perspectives of the industry. At the end of each school year, the programme hosts regular meetings with its industrial advisory board to discuss and solicit needs of the business and training opportunities.