Macao Polytechnic Institute Postgraduate Scholarship
- Those who enroll on a Master's or doctoral degree programme at the Institute can apply for the Postgraduate Scholarship.
- Applicants are required to satisfy all the conditions required for admission to the programme.
- The scholarship application must be submitted together with the admission application.
(Monetary Amount and Payment Period)
- There are two kinds of Postgraduate Scholarship: full scholarship and half scholarship, both payable on a monthly basis within a specified period of time after the application has been approved, without prejudice to the provisions of Article 6.
The monetary amounts of the Postgraduate Scholarship and the maximum period of payment (which includes the period of leave) are as follows:
Student Category Monetary Amount per Month Maximum Period of Payment Full Scholarship Half Scholarship Master's Students MOP8,000 MOP4,000 24 months Doctoral Students MOP20,000 MOP10,000 36 months
(Transportation Allowance for Conference Participation)
- Doctoral students who have been awarded with the full scholarship may apply for allowance, which is granted once for each application, according to the stipulated procedures, so as to support their attendance at international conferences held outside Macao, at which they will present their papers and exchange their research results.
- There is no limit on the number of applications for the transportation allowance. However, the maximum amount of the allowance granted for every 12 months, starting from the month of the doctoral students' registration at the Institute, should not exceed MOP10,000. The amount of the allowance which has not been applied for or not granted after application within a 12-month period shall not be accrued to the next 12 months.
Selection of the Postgraduate Scholarship recipients is made by the academic units to which the applicants’ programmes belong, according to the following criteria:
(1) Academic performance;
(2) Scientific research and innovation capability (e.g., research papers, articles or academic achievements; research awards, patents or outstanding works; research projects or activities; relevant work experience, etc.); and
(3) Interview performance.
- The number of the Postgraduate Scholarships for the Master's degree programmes is subject to revision by Senate on a yearly basis. The selection results of these scholarship recipients, having been approved by the Administrative Board upon the recommendation by the Directors of the relevant academic units in accordance with the provisions of Paragraph 1 above, should be announced together with the admission results.
- The selection results of the recipients of the Postgraduate Scholarships for the doctoral degree programmes, having been confirmed by Senate and approved by the Administrative Board upon the recommendation by the Directors of the relevant academic units in accordance with the provisions of Paragraph 1 above, should be announced together with the admission results.
The scholarship recipients have the following obligations:
(1) Complete the registration within a specified period to obtain the status of a Master’s Degree student or a Doctorate student;
(2) Pay the tuition fee and other fees stipulated by the Institute according to its payment rules;
(3) Participate in scientific research projects, as well as activities pertaining to teaching, administration, students and others as assigned by the academic units to which the recipients belong;
(4) Abide by all relevant rules and regulations formulated by the Institute and all laws and regulations of the Macao Special Administrative Region;
(5) Do not register yourself concurrently at two or more programmes of higher education at the Institute and/or other institutions of higher education, unless the concurrent registration has been consented to by the relevant academic units and approved by the Administrative Board;
(6) Do not take up any full-time or part-time jobs while receiving the scholarship, except with the consent of the relevant academic units and with the approval of the Administrative Board.
The weekly hours of participation in the activities listed in subparagraph (3) of Paragraph 1 above are as follows:
Types of Scholarship Weekly Hours of Participation in Activities Doctorate Students Master’s Degree Students Full Scholarship 10 hours 15 hours Half Scholarship 5 hours 8 hours
- Unless permission has been granted to take leave according to the following provisions in Paragraph 4, the scholarship recipients must stay in Macao to carry on their academic work during the period of study.
Any scholarship recipient who intends to leave Macao for more than seven days must submit to the respective academic unit a leave application of one of the following categories in writing:
(1) General leave: Scholarship recipients can apply for leave for no more than twenty-two working days in aggregate for every 12-month period. It is not a right of the scholarship recipients to take general leave, and whether an application for general leave is permitted or not depends on the recipients' academic progress and performance.
(2) Academic leave: Scholarship recipients who need to leave Macao because of study or research can apply for academic leave. Academic leave cannot exceed twelve months in aggregate during the entire period of study, unless in exceptional cases where the permission of Senate has been obtained.
(3) Non-academic leave: Non-academic leave is applicable where the scholarship recipients need to take time off study because of health or other irresistible reasons. The recipients must provide sufficient explanation and relevant proof to support their applications. Those who need to take non-academic leave for more than one month will not receive the payment of scholarship for the period of non-academic leave (any part in excess of a month which is of a duration less than a month is, for the purpose of this provision, treated as a month).
- The scholarship is renewable every 12 months from the month of the recipient's registration as a student of the Institute, until the end of the longest payment period as stipulated in Paragraph 2 of Article 2 above.
The renewal of scholarship is subject to the recipient’s fulfilment of all of the following criteria as confirmed by the respective academic unit:
(1) The recipient meets regularly with the supervising professor / instructor and provides reports on academic progress;
(2) After a comprehensive assessment, the supervising professor / instructor determines the recipient’s academic progress as satisfactory;
(3) As evaluated by the respective academic unit, the recipient's performance in scientific research and other duties as assigned is satisfactory.
The scholarship will automatically terminate if any of the following situations arises:
(1) Completion of the academic programme;
(2) Suspension of study;
(3) Termination of study;
(4) Failure to comply with the obligations as stipulated in Article 5 above;
(5) Failure to fulfil the criteria for the renewal of scholarship as stipulated in Paragraph 2 of Article 6;
(6) Lapse of the longest payment period for the scholarship.
- If the scholarship is terminated because of the recipient's failure to comply with the obligations as stipulated in subparagraphs (5) and (6) of Paragraph 1 of Article 5 above, the recipient must return the full amount of scholarship received during the period of non-compliance.
- If the recipient intends to voluntarily relinquish the scholarship, he or she should give the respective academic unit one month's advance notice in writing.
- Any recipient who has been found to be involved in concealing information or making any misleading statement or false declaration when applying for or receiving the scholarship will have his or her scholarship immediately terminated and must return the full amount of scholarship received during the relevant period. The student in question must bear the corresponding civil and criminal legal consequences.
This English version is a translation of the original regulations in Chinese. For any discrepancies between the two versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.