Avaliação Institucional pela QAA
Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) Institutional Review
The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) for Higher Education aims to assure standards in higher education in the UK and overseas. It carries out reviews of higher education institutions on a 5-6 yearly basis. The Macao Polytechnic Institute was reviewed in November 2013 by QAA and received a very positive report. The MPI Institutional Review 2013 is the first internationally recognised institutional review conducted for a higher education institution in Macao.
What the QAA Institutional Review said About Us
The QAA made the following judgments:
- Confidence can reasonably be placed in the soundness of the Institute's current and likely future management of the academic standards of its awards, and those that it delivers on behalf of its UK partner awarding body.
- Confidence can reasonably be placed in the soundness of the Institute's current and likely future management of the quality of the learning opportunities available to students.
- Confidence can reasonably be placed in the soundness of the Institute's current and likely future management of the information it produces about its higher education provision.
- Confidence can reasonably be placed in the soundness of the Institute's current and likely future management of the enhancement of the learning opportunities available to students.
The QAA also highlighted a number of areas of good practice as well as making five recommendations for action:
Good practice identified in the review
- Reward and support for staff to promote teaching excellence, funding for PhD and research activities and attendance at international conferences.
- Support for new staff (including induction processes for staff entering the Institute).
- The effective deployment of learning resources to support the learning opportunities of students, particularly the attention to the maintenance of a positive relationship between staff and students.
- The flexibility and responsiveness of the Institute to student feedback.
- The effectiveness of the induction and orientation processes for students entering the Institute.
- The effective organisation and monitoring of work-based and placement learning opportunities focusing on the educational benefit and professional development benefit of students.
Recommendations for action
- develop a systematic mechanism for recording incremental change at course and programme level which maintains clear institutional oversight of the cumulative effect of change over a sustained period of programme evolution.
- develop a more formal process to underpin the current informal system for supporting the learning opportunities of students, so that it is less dependent on the commitment of individual staff .
- review the method of reporting of student satisfaction at course level to ensure that specific concerns in individual areas are not lost within the aggregation and averaging of results.
- develop a more systematic mechanism to share external examiners' reports with students.
- develop a more systematic approach to the collation, application and consideration of good practice and of management information at institutional level in order to underpin the enhancement of students' learning opportunities.
Our Action Plan
Following the Institutional Review MPI is required to publish an action plan. This will be updated on annual basis.